Postgraduate Pathway in Architecture
By completing a Birmingham City University postgraduate course in Architecture, you will be fulfilling the second stage of your professional training to become an Architect. Following further study, you will be able to register officially as an Architect – as well as becoming a member of the relevant professional body, such as RIBA.
Your pathway to Birmingham City University
Stage 1: Two or three semesters (depending on academic background and portfolio)
Stage 1:September and January
BCUIC Bournville Campus
BCU City Centre Campus
Stage 1: Pre-Masters
You will develop advanced approaches to art and design techniques through the creative exploration of your ideas within a studio environment.
This module is assessed entirely through the production of a portfolio.
Critical Thinking for Postgraduate Study
You will learn how to critically assess arguments and evidence from a range of academic sources, as well as gaining an understanding of effective critical reading at postgraduate level.
You will be assessed via three methods:
- Evaluation of arguments exercise
- Critical evaluation of three texts (700 – 1,000 words each)
- A 3-hour closed book exam
Interactive Learning Skills and Communication
During this module you will learn advanced skills in:
- Public speaking
- Writing techniques and language styles
- Creating effective document layouts
- Professional communication and presentation
- Communicating effectively to a variety of audiences
- Working effectively as a team member and as an individual
- Applying research and referencing techniques to formulate reasoned academic opinion so as to avoid plagiarism
You will be assessed via a variety of methods, including:
- A research project – referencing a topic and using a variety of techniques and resources
- An individual presentation and a group presentation
- A 2-hour closed book exam
ICT Skills for Postgraduate Study
You will develop a range of ICT skills for research purposes and postgraduate study – including the presentation of data and using essential tools in Microsoft Word.
You will be assessed in a number of ways:
- A PowerPoint skills assignment
- A practical assignment around Microsoft Word and Excel
- A 30-minute multiple choice quiz on computer software and hardware and the internet
- A 2-hour closed book exam
Research Methods for Postgraduate Study
You will gain an understanding of research methods and methodologies for postgraduate study, as well as learning how to plan and undertake effective research at postgraduate level.
You will be assessed entirely through coursework, which will include a mini-dissertation (2,000 – 3,000 words) and a presentation of its synopsis.
This module will equip you with the advanced skills you need to develop and shape your own creative practice through the production of a final project.
This module is assessed entirely through your portfolio.
Stage 2: Master's Degree
Birmingham City University Degree Pathways:
Click below for more information on each pathway
MA Landscape Architecture
- The course is accredited by the Landscape Institute (LI).
- This course is delivered in Birmingham School of Architecture and Design, which is based at the £62 million Parkside Building on the City Centre Campus.
- Recent graduates are now working for practices such as AHR Global, Atkins Global, Birmingham City Council and Capita.
Find out more
*This course is subject to final approval by Birmingham City University. See the full disclaimer below.
Birmingham City University is currently going through a period of curriculum transformation which will finish in time for September 2017.This may affect programmes from September 2017 onwards.The aim of this review is to modernise BCU’s programmes and ensure the University reaches its targets of delivering practice-based learning that will deliver high-quality employability skills to our students. This may result in a change in the name or progression options for your chosen degree course. BCU and BCUIC will keep all students updated about these changes, and if you have any further questions, do please contact us.