Postgraduate Pathway in Computing
Why study this pathway programme?
- This integrated pathway is delivered both at Millennium Point and at BCUIC, on the City Centre Campus, and content is a mixture of BCUIC modules and University modules.
- The University’s School of Computing is a key training centre, delivering professional training on behalf of leading international IT giants – including Cisco and Microsoft.
- Thanks to the partnership with Cisco, £2 million worth of Cisco equipment is available for students to use!
Your pathway to Birmingham City University
Stage 1: Two semesters
Stage 1: September
Millennium Point, City Centre Campus
Millennium Point, City Centre Campus
Stage 1: Pre-Masters
Click below for more information on each module
Interactive Learning Skills and Communication for Postgraduate Study
During this module you will learn advanced skills in:
- Public speaking
- Writing techniques and language styles
- Creating effective document layouts
- Professional communication and presentation
- Communicating effectively to a variety of audiences
- Working effectively as a team member and as an individual
- Applying research and referencing techniques to formulate reasoned academic opinion so as to avoid plagiarism
You will be assessed via a variety of methods, including:
- A research project – referencing a topic and using a variety of techniques and resources
- An individual presentation and a group presentation
- A 2-hour closed book exam
Business Systems Solutions (BCU)
This module aims to provide you with a conceptual understanding of Business Systems and the practical experience for the technologies used in developing an integrated business solution. It focuses on information systems that underpin the business context of organisations and the demand for business intelligence. The module draws on transactional value of real-time data through mobile/IOT devices. Intelligence has become a key aspect of most organisations’ competitiveness, be it customer or resource informed.
Research Methods for Postgraduate Study
You will gain an understanding of research methods and methodologies for postgraduate study, as well as learning how to plan and undertake effective research at postgraduate level.
You will be assessed entirely through coursework, which will include a mini-dissertation (2,000 – 3,000 words) and a presentation of its synopsis.
Critical Thinking for Postgraduate Study
You will learn how to critically assess arguments and evidence from a range of academic sources, as well as gaining an understanding of effective critical reading at postgraduate level.
You will be assessed via three methods:
- Evaluation of arguments exercise
- Critical evaluation of three texts (700 – 1,000 words each)
- A 3-hour closed book exam
Pre-Master’s Extended Project
The purpose of the module is to enable you to undertake a sustained, in-depth and research-informed project exploring an area that is of personal interest to you. In agreement with your supervisor, you will decide upon your topic which will take the form of a practical outcome (artefact) with accompanying contextual material. The main consideration when choosing your topic is that it must be aligned to the programme you are studying, and you should consider the relevance of this topic to your future academic or professional development.
Security measures for adequate protection of valuable information assets are essential not only to guard business success and reputation but also because it is an obligation to comply with legal requirements, appropriate standards and relevant domain regulations. This module provides students with in-depth knowledge and understanding of the concepts, methods, processes, tools and practices underlying good information security management.
Stage 2: Master's Degree
Birmingham City University Degree Pathways:
Click below for more information on each pathway
MSc Big Data Analytics
- The demand for big data analysis and management skills is on a steady increase.
- Potential careers for graduates include roles in data science, data warehousing, consultancy, data security and data administration.
- Previous students have gained work experience and graduate roles at companies such as Hewlett-Packard, BT, Capgemini, Cisco and IBM.
MSc Enterprise Systems Management
- Systems management processes can be applied in numerous sectors - retail, banking, travel, telecommunications, manufacturing and many more.
- The Faculty of Computing is a member of SAP University Alliance, allowing students to undertake SAP certification in a number of key areas including Enterprise Resource Planning and Business Warehouse.
- The academic content of the course is complemented with practical workshops - working with SAP systems.
MSc Cyber Security
- Birmingham City University's Centre for Cyber Security is at the forefront of advancing information security, and is staffed by internationally renowned experts.
- Students benefit from research-led, practice-driven teaching underpinned by strong industrial links.
- The School of Computing and Digital Technology is home to a Cisco Systems, Oracle Academy and the Microsoft Academy Centre.
MSc Data Networks and Security
- The University's Centre for Cloud Computing houses the Cisco Networking Academy, which has an international reputation for delivering high-quality training and support across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Students benefit from a combination of employer-led, research-informed technical knowledge and practical experience with industry-standard resources.
- Former students have gone on to work for companies such as Huawei.
Special entry requirements
- Students must have a related qualification.