Birmingham City University International College

Entry clearance and visa guide

Submit your application

Receive your letter of offer

Accept your offer

You are here

UK Visa Regulations

Points-Based System for Students (Student Route)

This information is for guidance only. Please refer to the UKVI website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Do you need a visa?

As an international student, you must obtain a Student Route visa before coming to study in the UK. This study visa allows you to enrol at your specific University (known as your Sponsor) and may allow you to undertake part time work whilst studying. All BCUIC students are directly sponsored by Birmingham City University.

To study in the UK you need to be sponsored by an educational institution - i.e. Birmingham City University. The confirmation of this sponsorship comes in the form of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). To confirm your sponsorship, when you apply for a visa to study in the UK you must include with your visa application your unique CAS number, which will link you to the institution you intend to study at.

More information about the credibility interview process can be found on this Navitas information page.

More information on the visa application process can be found on the University's 'Getting your visa' web page. (Some information will only apply to direct University students. If you are unsure about anything, please contact us:

What is a CAS Statement?

A CAS statement is a letter issued by your chosen university and includes information about you, your course and your finances. More information can be found here.

Your CAS Check-list


This should say 'Student Route'.

You (the student)

  • your name (as shown on your passport if applicable)
  • Your nationality
  • your passport or travel document number (optional)

Approved education provider (also known as the 'sponsor')

  • the education provider's licence number
  • the education provider's address (if different from the letterhead)


  • the course title
  • the academic level of course of qualification you will get when you complete the course (the National Qualifications Framework level or the type of qualification - for example, a bachelor's degree). If you will be studying an English language course, the level of the course should be the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level - for example, CEFR level B2
  • the start date (the date you start your main studies), or the date you start an induction course to prepare you for study if you have an unconditional offer to do your main course.
  • the latest date you can join the course (optional)
  • the expected end date
  • the number of hours per week (optional if studying a full-time degree course that leads to a United Kingdom recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree, or an overseas higher education course equivalent to a United Kingdom higher education course)
  • the address of your main place of study, if different to the approved education provider's main address
  • the address of any organisation offering you a work placement, if known and applicable

Evidence used to obtain the offer

A list of evidence that the approved education provider used to assess your academic ability to finish the course, which may include:

  • your academic qualifications
  • your English language qualifications
  • the level or type of your existing qualifications (if applicable)
  • the qualification awarding body and/or institution (if applicable)
  • confirmation that an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate is needed (if applicable)
  • TB certificate, where relevant (check here)

If you are applying to continue or complete the course of study for which you currently have permission to stay, and your approved education provider has used your progress to date to asses your suitability to continue this course, the education provider must explain this on the CAS statement.

Fees and accommodation

  • course fees for the first year, or the length of the course
  • course fees that you have paid so far (if applicable)
  • accommodation fees that you have paid so far (if applicable)
  • proof of finance

You will need to show proof of sufficient funds available in the bank account for a minimum 28 consecutive calendar days*. You can use the calculation below:

    • First year fee (on offer letter) PLUS £9,315.00 (maintenance) MINUS deposit (the amount already paid) = £GBP required.
    • Convert your country’s currency at

*We recommend you add more funds than required to allow for any fluctuation in currency levels.

For further information about the documentation which you need to provide to prove availability of funds, visit the UKVI website.

You can also find guidance on Student Route Visa financial evidence requirements on this Navitas information page.

How do I apply?

You will need to fill in the application form, pay your fee and include:

      • a current passport or travel document
      • a CAS Statement from a licensed sponsor
      • documents to show you have the right finances (maintenance) available
      • documents used by your sponsors when they accepted you onto the course

The UKVI will also need to record you biometric details if you are applying from outside the United Kingdom.


In the unfortunate event of a visa refusal, please send all pages of the refusal to BCUIC Admissions (